A very effective method to relax the body is by systematically stressing all the muscles, holding that 5 to 10 seconds, and then releasing the tension.
- Sit or lie in a relaxed way.
- Put an extremely tense expression on the face, straining as many face muscles as possible. Take a deep breath and forcefully hold it. …… Now slowly release the breath and the tension of all the face muscles, feel as if you breathe out all stress.
- Inhale deeply again and stress all neck and shoulder muscles…. then let go
- Inhale, make fists and stress the arms… let go
- Inhale, stress chest, belly and back…. let go
- Inhale, stress buttocks, legs and feet… let go
- If you still feel tension at some places, just stay relaxed, don’t hold the breath now, but release all the tension while breathing out.
- Enjoy your relaxed body.
You can add to this a meditation to Let Go.
Now simply watch the movement of your breath. Don’t make any efforts to change the pattern of your breathing. Simply keep watching it. Inhale and exhale gently.
Next, bring your awareness on the heart. While keeping the awareness on your heart, set your intention to let go and release everything that causes you distress from your consciousness.
For next 5-10 minutes, be an observer of what you are experiencing as you let go ever more deeply saying to yourself “Let” “Go”
Sweet dreams, sleep well.